Good Charging Practices:
1. Use the correct charger that was supplied by the manufacture OR a reputable Companies like (Anker and Belkin).
2. Chargers from Convenience stores or those under 10.00 are most likely insufficient – Best to check reviews first.
3. Use the correct cable – very important. Quality cabling affects data transfer speeds and charging. Cables greater then 3 feet (1 meter) such as the 15 foot or 4.5-meters charging cables should be avoided.
4. Consider keeping your phone up to date as new patches and features can aid in preserving battery control and enable better power management
5. Keep away from heat sources
From direct sunlight, near heaters, away from exhaust fans from laptops, desk lamps
Best Charging ambient temperatures, with 62° to 72° F (16° to 22° C)
In a glove box, vs in direct sunlight if charging in a vehicle
Charging your device when it’s inside certain styles of cases may generate excess heat, which can affect battery capacity in the long run.
Fast Charging Scenarios:
Scenario 1 Time More then 3 Hours. Example: Overnight Charging, no rush, constant charging is available, night stand charging
First be sure to adhere to the above Good Charging Practices.
Can charge with computer cable for Android and Apple Phones. Since Time is greater then 3 hours.
Wireless charging is a good option here as well, as it charges the phone at about the same rate as the original 5W adapter.
For Android: Use a charger that says 2A (2 Amps) or greater. Unlike Apple, phones that are designed for fast charging includes the fast charger with the phone.
For Apple iPhones:
For this scenario the original white cube charger will be sufficient. No need to use a more powerful charger. Like ground shipping you have time on your side. The White cube charger from apple will charge a depleted phone in about 3 hours at 5 Watts
Scenario 2 less then two hours but more then one hour of charging time. Example: Have a Date! Event Planned – Anticipate Lots of pictures and movies.
First be sure to adhere to the above Good Charging Practices written above.
In this scenario its best practice to stay from wireless charging as well as charging your phone with your laptop.
If your battery is below 20% consider placing your phone in airplane mode prior to charging.
If your expecting a call the considering enabling low power mode. Either way I recommended you don’t use the phone while it is charging as the power supplied to the phone for charging is partially diverted to screen and computing power when your using it while charging.
Android: use included quick charger or equiviant charger 2A or greater.
For Apple: Advanced Quick Charger is NOT included. You can either use an alternative charger from Anker, Belkin, or another good company (Be sure to check reviews). The included square white cube charger is insufficient for quick charging.
Quick charging options for Apple include:
Use your iPad USB charger [12W ~2Hrs & 20 Min ] (if you have one) as long as you have a USB to Lightning Cable. Apple will gladly sell the cable for 19 dollars as of 10.11.18.
Use reputable chargers from Anker: https://www.anker.com/products/108/203/wall-chargers
Range from 10 to 40 bucks, depending on what cables you have. Each USB or USB-C is at least 2A.
For Apple (Fast Charger 30Watt) ~ 2 hours AT ~50 Dollars
Notice that double wattage does not mean double charging speed. 87 Watt Adapter for Apple MacBook which can charge iPhone if you have the correct cable will not charge the phone in 20 minutes, continues to take about 1.8 Hrs.
Scenario 3 Less the 45 Minutes. Example: Have a Date! Event Planned – Anticipate Lots of pictures and movies. NEED MORE POWER
First be sure to adhere to the above Good Charging Practices available in the notes.
Follow Scenario 2, be sure that you are using a charger that is 2A or greater.
Wireless charging or charging by a laptop here is not optimal.
What else can you do?
1. Most effective – Shut phone off. Prevents background apps and keeps phone off. Keep the phone cooler since it is off.
2. Effective: If you can’t shut phone off – airplane mode as soon as you can. If you are expecting a call – low power mode as soon as you plug in the phone.