I was finally able to log a 150 A session on the ChargePoint Express 250 station at ChargePoint Headquarters. The session went mostly as expected; however, the first step down from 150 A didn’t occur until 54% battery. Also, because this charger is limited to 150 A (the Bolt EV’s maximum charging current), I still wasn’t able to confirm whether the Bolt EV can draw additional power for battery conditioning and climate control when more than 150 A is available from the charger.
Today we run two 30 kWh Leafs 300 miles to test out the charging infrastructure on Ecotricity’s Electric Highway, the Polar Network as far as possible and CYC in Scotland. Also some friendly competition between myself and Jonathan of Eco-Cars. It should be fun!!!!
Test charging my Kona using both the Granny cable (ICCB) supplied with the car and my Zappi charger.
Rates, times and efficiency. Additional test including an extension lead in front of the ICCB.
For accuracy I charged the car to an even 10% boundary before starting, letting the car cut off using the charge limit feature. For each test I again used the charge limit to charger just 10% . This seemed to be the most accurate way to compare multiple charges methods.
Of note the plug of the extension cord was quite warm, not hot but definitely warmer than that of the Granny cable on its own.
UK Kona Electric prices:
UK Kona Electric specs:
So, how crazy is this? When you buy a car normally do you have to consider how or when you’re going to fill up? No. But with an EV we’re not quite comfortable the that batteries are bullet proof so we want to take care of the battery and not have it degrade on us.
Is it daft or is it sensible?
Charging cycles. Do we need to limit them, whatever they are? Shall we charge, daily, weekly and from and to what charge percents?
I’m sure some owners will just wing it and not care and maybe that’s the right attitude but it’s a lot of money to be wrong so I’m going the cautious route and trying to find out how to care best for my EV battery
How have you charged your EV? Has it degraded at all?
As we’re approaching the time for the first Kona reviews of UK owned cars, mine included, I’m starting to plan tests and review videos. Any thoughts or requests?
Lastly, I’m still considering changing the name of the channel to KONA Electric or Kona Electric ( EV Puzzle). Should I change it to reflect the Kona or should I keep it as is?
Location: St Helier Hospital – Staff Car Park
– [ ] “Pacific Sun” by Nicolai Heidlas Music , Links: https://youtu.be/kbqmEJTr3nU
– [ ] YAVERCLAP – “The Sky” , Free Background Music No Copyright Music, Link https://youtu.be/lg7WAG8QH-Q
– [ ] MOKX – “Horizon”- FreeBackgroundMusic , Link https://youtu.be/Vw2vBnjRPcE
– [ ] “Star Wars Theme / Binary Sunset” – Deep House Remix by DJAG , Original Music by John Williams. Download available search in SoundCloud App or on YouTube https://youtu.be/JeMgZPrIj3s
– [ ] “We’ll be coming back” (Original Mix), MaRiK – FreeBackgroundMusic , Link https://youtu.be/Htkl5HAbWsM
– [ ] “Lux” by Arc North, Free Background Music No Copyright Music, Link https://youtu.be/73mhTIB7Ao4
– [ ] “Seasons” by DJ AG, Original, Link https://youtu.be/46qQWSbSJSo